Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Parent/Child Relationship. Then vs. Now.



Hello parents, non parents and other.

Today I'd like to take a stroll down memory lane and compare how parents of yesteryear raised their children versus today's parents. Let's compare shall we?

Dinnertime:

Then:
Parent: Billy! Pick up that food you threw on the floor and go to bed without supper.

Now:
Parent: Olive! You threw your food on the floor. I see you made the choice to throw your food on the floor. Now I see you are feeling angry. You are feeling angry and throwing food. Why did you choose to throw your food? Now you are choosing to hit mommy. You are mad. It's okay to be mad. Would you like me to make you something else? You can have grilled cheese or mac and cheese. Those are your choices.

Birthdays

Then:
Parent: Happy second birthday Sally! Here is a piece of cake and your present.

Now:
Parent: Hey everyone! Six months from now Sundae Remelia Ryker Rain is turning two! Please RSVP to our Edgar Allen Poe themed party. We ask that you only bring Eco-friendly, recycled, all natural toys made from 100% biodegradable bamboo leaves or you can choose to donate money to " BWLMS" aka "Babies Who Lack Math Skills." This charity focuses on helping babies in developing countries under six months get access to fractions. Also, if you are interested in checking out the handmade Edgar Allen Poe decor items, take a look at my Pintrest account. Or you can checkout my blog: www.mytoddlerrockssocks.com. Don't forget to BYOR (bring your own raven).

School

Then:
Kid: I forgot to do my homework last night and so I got an F.

Parent: You're grounded.

Now:
Kid: I forgot to do my homework last night and so I got an F.

Parent: WHAAAAAAT?! That's RIDICULOUS! You can't be the ONLY student to forget to do the assignment! How did you forget? I did your homework with you! Remember? I built that Mission entirely out of popsicle sticks and it took me four hours! I am going to call your teacher RIGHT NOW as well as go in tomorrow and DEMAND you get to turn in your homework late. You should at LEAST get a B for not understanding that it was due!

Saturdays

Then:
Kid: Mom, I'm bored.

Parent: Go clean the bathroom.

Now:
Kid: Mom, I'm bored.

Parent: Well now let's see. You have about 30 minutes in-between soccer, interpretive African drumming lessons, and your play date at the children's science museum with Atticus. That gives us about ten minutes of free play. Why don't we look up a craft on Pintrest do to together? Oh! Here's one. How to make a teepee in ten minutes or less using recycled coke bottles and yarn!

Competitions

Then:
Parent: How was school?

Kid: We had a race and I was first.

Parent: What did you win?

Kid: A trophy

Now:
Parent: How was school?

Kid: We had a race and I was last.

Parent: What did you win?

Kid: A trophy.

Well, that's as far back as my brain can remember. I'm feeling tired after all those dinners I made my toddler. I better get to sleep so that I wake up fresh and ready to post another blog about my child's every thought.

Adios! Until the next post.















4 comments:

  1. Great job, Jackie. You nailed it. My two grown children are at opposite ends of the spectrum. My son lets his kids play games non-stop on electronic devices, but believes in spankings. My daughter won't let her child play video games or watch much TV, but is opposed to spankings.

    Personally, I'm against the "everyone's a winner" philosophy. It doesn't happen in the real world, especially at work. What happens when Mommy isn't there to bail you out?

    It appears to me that Linda did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding your grown children, I think that there is no one size fits all for parenting but I do find some of the over indulgent (and overthinking) attitude really funny. Although I can't really talk since my blog is all about my kids. Oh what a hypocrite I am!

      And I think my mom did a pretty good job too. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hello, Jackie....Hopefully, it won't make you cringe to receive another comment from someone who knows your Mom, even if only online. She did recommend your site, but, since first stopping by several months ago, I've followed your posts on my own, because they make me smile...

    Well done; an excellent portrayal of modern idiocy.... As with Russell, I can agree you didn't fall far from Mom's tree. Hopefully, you're okay with that; I know she's really proud of you, and I can see why....

    I was fortunate, I guess; raised by a Master Sergeant, I passed on to my own kids the discipline he taught us, always tempered by his compassion and sense of justice... Too many parents these days buy into the modern theories, which are, in my opinion, a complete ration of crap, guaranteed to turn nice human beings into adult assholes... Just sayin'...

    I'll be back... and I mean that in a non-Terminator, good way...

    gigoid, the dubious

    aka, Ned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gigoid. Having another commenter who knows my hilarious and amazing mother would NEVER make me cringe! I appreciate you following my blog!

      It sounds like your Master Sergeant parent did a great job. I agree that the over-thinking and indulging children turns them into adult assholes. I guess they old saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" fits the bill here!

      Delete