Thursday, June 18, 2015

Children stuff EVERYWHERE!

Yes? Can I help you?

Oh. You're here to read. Silly me. For a second I thought you were going to try and sell me knives or something.

So in case you haven't noticed, I talk a lot about children (well, mine anyway) on this blog. It's probably really boring to those who don't have them or aren't related to mine. I'm pretty sure this blog will evolve as they do. Meaning I'll move on to other topics. They probably won't want me blogging about them once they are in high school. Plus, I suspect in the future I will have a robotic Jackie who will do all of my blogging for me. She will also be excellent at cleaning refrigerators. I think I've mentioned this before. 

In the meantime you are stuck with me and my children. Unless you close the browser. Don't! Don't close it! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! ...

Oh. You're still here. Phew!

So today I'd like to talk about the over saturation of children. And I'm not talking about the population. I'm talking about the amount of Child-centric STUFF that exists these days. 

For example, I'll often go to Target with a clear idea in my head. I will studiously check my phone and read my shopping list. It will look something like this:

Shopping list:

Paper towels
Ajax
Children's ibuprofen
Rubber gloves
Size 3 Diapers.

I will have EVERY INTENTION of sticking to that list. Knowing that the last time I went to Target (for place mats) I managed to spend $98. My husband doesn't seem to understand how I can run out "really quickly to pick up like, just one thing of toilet paper and bandaids" and come home with a new shower curtain, summer dress, and rug steamer. 

Come to think of it, the perils of shopping at Target (for your wallet) is an entirely different blog post.

Anyway, after shopping for very specific items, my shopping list tends to expand to something like this:

Shopping List: 

Size 3 Diapers
Curious George Board books
DVD Elmos World
Summer infant onesie
Toddler shorts
Toddler socks
Thomas the Train learning set
Bumbo
Snack cup with lid
Snack travel cup 
Kid fruit and veggies squeezable snacks
Size 5 flip flops
Toddler swim shorts
Erasable markers
Bath tub toys
Infant freezable teething rings
Paper towels (forgot to buy)
Ajax (forgot to buy)
Children's ibuprofen (forgot to buy)
Rubber gloves (forgot to buy)

What I've finally realized is that Target (among other stores) seems to have an overabundance of children things. My eyes glaze as I look through 50 different sippy cup options at Target or 25 different varieties of organic burp cloths at Eco Bambino. Sometimes, I tell myself I'd prefer to just use a dish towel. But then again it's not as shiny and FABULOUS as the, "made from 100 percent pure spring shorn lamb's wool burp cloth" is it? 

All the stuff out there these days makes me think about my great grandmother. And how when she was a toddler her toys most likely consisted of a rag doll made of twine and perhaps a wooden spoon. The spoon probably alternated as a "spankin' spoon" half the time. I'm sure she never ate fruit and vegetables from a pouch on her way to a musical interprutive dance yoga toddler class either. 

When you really think about it, it's all very bizarre. But there's no going back is there? So excuse me while I give my child my iPhone so that he can play one of his 15 Peek A Boo zoo animal apps while I wash out his new, dinosaur themed water bottle. At least it was on sale amiright?

Just to give you some visual evidence of the perils of shopping at Target. See below:


All I needed were diapers  and somehow I have four bags including green beans.

Even though it looks like there is nothing else I could possibly need, I thought of one more thing...


Shopping isn't complete without an iced coffee. 


Adios! Until the next post. 







1 comment:

  1. Same hold true here. Connie heads to the store for five items and comes home with 14 bags on non-essential items, then spends a great deal of time telling me how we can't live without them or what deal they were (as if the store was practically giving them away).
    I tell her she should feel guilty for taking advantage of those poor merchants. But alas, the cycle never ends.

    ReplyDelete