Tuesday, April 21, 2015

DIY bookmarks for book lovers

Hello everyone! It's me, the girl who loves to read.

Today I thought I'd put together a quick "Do it yourself" craft for the non crafty people (like me) to accomplish in a few easy steps. This craft is quick, easy, fun (I think) and can be used for awhile. I'm talking about none other than the fabulous, exciting world of bookmarks!

Now I know what you're thinking. "Who uses bookmarks these days? In a world of reading books on Kindles, iPads, cell phones and books on cd's, aren't bookmarks obsolete? Can you really expect that anyone who reads uses bookmarks in this day an age???"

Wow. You really were thinking all of that? I just thought maybe you were thinking "Oh. Bookmarks. Cool." But never mind.

I still enjoy reading real live books and I'm sure there are many other (grandparents) out there who enjoy it as well. Thus, this is the perfect crafty gift for your mom (if she's a grandma) or you're great grandparents.

Ok, let's get started shall we?

1. Cut watercolor paper into strips that resemble bookmarks. I can't measure very well. I mean, I can measure okay but I can't cut very well. Okay, I can't do both very well. So my bookmarks aren't the same length or width. But great grandpa Orville won't notice. I promise.

Great grandpa Orville doesn't know what these are but thinks they look lovely. 
2. Tape bookmarks to a hard surface to avoid curling.  Then tape over stencil you'd like to use.  I decide to use a leaf (or feather?) stencil.

I hope the paper isn't ticklish
3. Paint in stencil. I usually try and let each color dry before I paint the next colors in to avoid everything running together. As you can see I'm not worried about it coming out to perfect. I think a little messiness gives watercolor paintings character. That's what I tell myself about my house as well.

It's like paint by numbers without the numbers
4. Let dry. Once dry you can remove the tape. Exciting! 

Just the way real leaves look in the wild

5. Add inspirational original thought. Or, if inspirational, original thought will not appear in brain, google "inspirational original thought" and copy onto bookmark. 

You took the words right outta my mouth. Thanks Abe!

6.  Punch hole and add ribbon for extra cuteness. Aaaaaaand that's all folks! Here are a few more I did for kicks.



 Kindle schmindle. Bookmarks rule!

Adios until the next post!

1 comment:

  1. Aw I love these! And I read real books too!!!

    ReplyDelete