Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spinach Muffins that don't taste like Spinach. Yay.

Why hello there. It's me, Jacquelyn Irene Benson.

Today I thought I'd share my recipe for quick and easy spinach muffins. I make them quite often to ensure my picker toddler eats something other than almond butter or grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Before I had kids I'd thought to myself, "I will offer a variety of healthy food for my kid so that I don't get stuck cooking them special meals.  It's not hard. Just cook it and if  they don't eat it for dinner guess what's for breaaaaaaakfaaaaaaast!!!"

As he got older, Henry realized that, "Hey! I have tastebuds and a will of my own!" and therefore he decided to stop eating anything that tasted like meat and looked like vegetables. Oh what a fool I was!  

I also realized I'm not Joan Crawford from Mommy Dearest.  I just don't have the heart to force my child to eat congealed leftovers until the food goes bad. I also don't care if he grows up using wire hangers. 

I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed. 


So for now, I let Henry eat what he likes knowing he will ignore most of the regular meals I dish onto his plate. To trick him into eating SOME nutrients, I decided to start making muffins with  hidden pureed vegetables and tofu inside. It's kind of like Santa. We are lying to him about his existence but the result is presents. 

The great thing about these muffins is they actually taste sweet and hold up well if frozen. So let's get started shall we?

You will need:
1 bag of fresh Spinach (you can also use about 2 cups of other pureed veggies)
3/4 cups sugar ( I use Stevia)
2 cups flour (whole wheat or regular)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk (or cream)
1 or 2 eggs
1/2 mashed banana (1-2 bananas if you don't use any other fruit)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 scoop whey vanilla protein powder 
* I also added about a 1/2 cup of pureed pineapple. I had some in my fridge and I don't know why. Perhaps I had a Luau while sleepwalking. 


Step One: Ensure children are safely occupied. 
I read somewhere that watching a lot of TV raises children's IQ

Somebody. Anybody. Please hold me. 


Step Two: Assemble ingredients.

You will all be eaten. Sorry. 


Step Three: Mix dry ingredients together. 

Another cool action shot. Whoa.





Step Four: Blend veggies and wet stuff together
Milk and spinach together at last!

 Step Five: Blend wet and dry ingredients together to get nice, mushy consistency.

Mushy texture won't cause mushy thighs.

Step Six: Take coffee break from sheer exhaustion of mixing ingredients. 

Must. Keep. Energy. Up.

Step Seven: Put in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Once done remove from oven or burn down house.

As Henry's speech therapist would say, "Aaaaaaaaall done!"



Step Seven: Enjoy delicious, nutritious spinach muffins!


As you can see, Henry really cherishes these muffins.



Adios until the next post!




4 comments:

  1. Spencer likes these when he sees fit. I take it as a personal accolade when he pulls the item I just made out of his mouth while making direct eye contact. Token of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Henry does the holding eye contact while slowly dropping what I cooked him off his plate. He's probably thinking, "Your move woman."

      Delete